Police shoot man at Englerston
Englerston residents were upset yesterday after police shot a man in the area who was allegedly armed with a knife.
Police confirmed that the shooting took place at Charles Vincent Street around 4:30 p.m.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Glenn Miller said two officers responded to reports of a man threatening someone in the area.
“Reports are that he attempted to stab one of the officers who subsequently shot him,”Miller said.
The man was shot in the abdomen, according to Miller. At last report, he was being treated at Princess Margaret Hospital.
Area residents accused police of using excessive force.
As crime scene officers arrived at the scene, many residents gathered in the street cursing at, and threatening, police officers.
Some residents threatened to turn Englerston”into another Bain Town”, referencing the disturbance that occurred in that community last month after police shot and killed 19-year-old Shamarko Bradley Newbold.
One young woman, who claimed she witnessed the shooting, said police did not need to use firearms to subdue the man.
“I don’t know what’s going on now, but these police need to stop,”the woman said.
Latest posts by The Nassau Guardian (see all)
- PM: We will do whatever it takes to address BPL’s issues - August 20, 2019
- AID Clay Court Championships continue at Gym Tennis Club - August 20, 2019
- J.S. Johnson reports impressive net income growth - August 20, 2019