kl Delaney on road
BY KEVA LIGHTBOURNE
Guardian Senior Reporter
While staying clear of commenting on the issue of the$10 million the Coconut Grove Business League(CGBL)will be seeking from the government for revenue lost as a result of changes made to the Blue Hill Road and Market Street thoroughfares, Attorney General John Delaney confirmed yesterday that he plans to file appeal documents in this matter later this month
We do have instructions to appeal . we expect to be filing the appropriate documents this month.
My client Minister of Public Works and governemnt.
I’ll be doing so within the conrx=ext of teh month of Januarya nd that remains the case
The Coconut Grove Business League(CGBL)will ask the government for up to$10 million in damages for revenue losses incurred as a result of construction that began as part of the New Providence Road Improvement Project last year, according to CGBL attorney Paul Moss.
The Supreme Court last month ruled in favor of the CGBL after it asked for a judicial review of the government’s decision to make sections of Blue Hill Road and Market Street one-way thoroughfares to accommodate the(NPRIP).
That ruling also awarded damages for business lost to the CGBL, which is comprised of about 50 area businesses.
“One could easily see that based on some of those businesses that there were seriously high volumes of revenue that have been cut by maybe 30 percent to 50 percent,”Moss told The Nassau Guardian.
Grand Bahama attorney Maurice Glinton also represented the CGBL.
The CGBL argued that the changes significantly reduced commerce in the area.
Moss said,”there has been tremendous loss and it has been from the beginning of last year until now.”
Moss said he is in the process of hiring an independent accountant to assess detailed losses.
“If[those damages]are not agreed to, then the courts will have to be utilized to find out what those damages may be,”he said.
Attorney General John Delaney has indicated that the government intends to appeal the ruling.
“We don’t have any notice of that appeal,”Moss said.”But if that appeal does not go forward, we will be seeking damages for the clients.”
It was alleged that some area businesses, such as Super Value food store, reportedly suffered sales decreases, as much as 80 percent as a result of the work.
The ruling by Justice Neville Adderley found that Minister of Public Works and Transport Neko Grant erred when he did not consult with area businesses as to how they would be affected by the changes before work began.
Delaney represented Grant.
He argued that the judicial review should be thrown out, because the specifics of the NPRIP were announced more than a decade ago. Adderley rejected that argument.
He also ordered that costs be payed to the CGBL’s legal team.
While Adderley did not order the government to consult with the CGBL as to how it could better accommodate area businesses as a result of the work, he strongly suggested it.
Moss said he has requested a meeting with Delaney but has not gotten a response.
The government has argued that the NPRIP inclusive of the work being done on Blue Hill Road and Market Street will help alleviate traffic congestion in New Providence.
Latest posts by The Nassau Guardian (see all)
- Junior doctors accuse PHA of ambushing their meeting with director of labor - August 23, 2019
- Meet Katya Saunders – a budding Bahamian songstress - August 23, 2019
- C.R. Walker School won’t be ready when teachers return - August 23, 2019