No replacement yet for Steve McKinney at BIS
Days after Steve McKinney was sacked from his post as director of broadcasting at Bahamas Information Services, his replacement has yet to be named,The Nassau Guardianunderstands.
McKinney was relieved of his position last Thursday, a day after he participated in a demonstration on Bay Street with a cross-section of Bahamians who oppose the sale of a 51 percent stake of the Bahamas Telecommunications Company(BTC)to Cable and Wireless Communications(CWC).
Guardiansources say top executives at the government media department remain tight-lipped as to who will replace McKinney. The source believes that McKinney’s successor will be named after debate on the government’s mid-year budget is complete.
“We have been trying to ascertain information as to what will happen and who would replace McKinney since we learned of his departure, but nothing has been said,”another source, an employee at the company, reported.”It barely came as a surprise that such action was taken,” the source said.
Last week McKinney toldThe Nassau Guardianhe was called into the office of BIS Executive Director Edward Ellis, was handed him a letter and said he was to take his accumulated 18-week vacation, which began on Monday.
McKinney has been at the department for approximately eight years.
Attempts to speak with Ellis proved futile up to press time.
Asked whether he thought the move was politically motivated, McKinney said that question has to be directed at senior government officials. However, he believes his participation in the demonstration has a lot to do with it.
“I fundamentally believe that is the wrong decision. I think it is a half-baked decision. I think it is a decision of special interests and those persons who have something to gain from that, and they are certainly not the Bahamian people based on my investigations and my information,”he added.
He maintained that BTC is a national asset and is being frittered away.
McKinney had about four weeks remaining on his three-year contract.