Plant Care In Hot Humid Climate
To have a healthy greenery of plants in hot climate you should choose the hard plants such as the Red Bird of Paradise(Caesalpinia pulcherrima)southern pea, okra, sweet potato, amaranth, malabar spinach, and watermelon. You should be careful when the seeds are sown, because they can be the food to the caterpillars and beetles.
General tips on humid weather gardening
1. The plants should be mulched from time to time in this humid climate. The mulch should be kept under sunlight so that it becomes more nourishing.
2. To prevent the growth of weeds here is an easy way.
•Mow the soil if there are any tall leaves.
•Water the soil thoroughly.
•Spread a thick layer of newspaper consisting of 4 sheets together.
•Wet the newspaper so that it doesn’t move.
•Cover the newspaper with leaves or hay.
•Then sow seeds making holes form the top of the newspaper.
•Scatter a handful of soil and compost over the newspaper among the sown seeds and water them.
3. If you are growing vegetables only and the soil is without any crops now then add fertilizer and other organic matter so it becomes fertile and nourished for the fall crops. Southern peas such as Blackeye, Purplehull, Cream and Crowders are ideal cover crops that make the soil fertile and full of minerals.
Leaving the soil empty after tilling under the scorching heat. It will kill nematodes and also weeds. After two weeks till the soil again so that more weeds and nematodes can come up to the surface
4. Water the soil deeply after some days. Apply 1-foot deep water to a sandy soil and 6 to 8 inches deep watering is required when it is a clay soil. You should be very careful about watering because deep watering is required and not over-watering. Deep watering is very harmful to the plants if the drainage facility is poor.
5. Some blooming plants and trees such as azalea, dogwood, redbud, spirea, forsythia, flowering quince, wisteria, and some species of roses shouldnot be trimmed heavily. If their heavy trimming is done between midsummer to fall then the flowering decreases heavily. You can trim them slightly and give them a decent shape.