Gun trafficking arraignment recalled
The scheduled arraignment of four people, including a customs officer, accused of gun trafficking was postponed yesterday.
Police brought the suspects to court around 4 p.m. to be arraigned in connection with last week’s seizure of eight illegal firearms.
However, when Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt called up the matter, prosecutor Assistant Superintendent of Police Clifford Daxon informed her that the file had been recalled by the Office of the Attorney General.
This revelation prompted defense counsel Glendon Rolle to make an application for the suspects to be given police bail or released from custody.
Rolle said the suspects had been charged on Friday, which meant they should have been brought before the court at the earliest opportunity.
But Ferguson-Pratt said that since the matter was not properly before her, she was unable to make any order.
Attorney Halson Moultrie said that some “abuse is taking place”, as police retrieved the charge sheets shortly after providing them.
Ferguson-Pratt said it was possible that the suspects could be released as a result of further investigations. As for the question of the legality of their detention, she said that issue would have to be decided by another court.
The suspects were taken over to the Nassau Street Police Station.