Five myths that will stifle your career success
In working with professionals at every level, I find there are myths about what is required to advance in the workplace. If you are a professional looking to advance your career, this information will give you tools to create a holistic toolkit to assist in your advancement.
Myth #1: Just do a good job. We are in a world where just doing a good job is just not good enough. Well, it is good enough if you just want to keep your job, but it is not good enough if you want to be noticed for advancement. Why, you may ask? Why can’t I just go to work, do my job and expect to be recognized and promoted? The answer is, because if you work with people, a big part of advancing your career is relational. I had a coaching client who was up for a promotion which he did not get. When he asked his senior manager why, the senior said, “I don’t know you.” Being an enigma is diminishing to your success.
Myth #2: It’s about who you know. You may know Ms. Senior Executive, but does she know you? Does she know the unique value you add to the organization? Does she know your professional goals? Do you have a brand that spans your organization and beyond? You may be the best kept secret at your job. People may not know all you can actually contribute. You may need to take on a special project to showcase the skills no one knows you have. It may behoove you to build stronger rapport with the players. As you can see it’s more about who knows you.
Myth #3: Because I am educated and have great technical skills I will excel. A study published by the Carnegie Institute in Forbes magazine indicated only 15 percent of your success in the business world is determined by your technical skills. The other 85 percent hinges on your communication skills, ability to lead others and your personality. Many people are experts at what they do, but no one wants to work with them. Your interpersonal skills are an essential key to your advancement.
Myth #4: If I learn to speak well, I will be a good leader. This is a common assumption, and truth be told, many people have snatched leadership positions because of it. However, being articulate is only a part of great communication skills, more important is what you communicate. The ability to convey you are a team player, trustworthy, sincere, a visionary and a good listener, is what will help you to move to the top.
Myth #5: Social functions for work are a waste of time. Yep, I have heard that many times and I get it. However, social functions with the team helps you to see each other differently and often assists in creating a better team. Plus, this is the opportunity to build a rapport with seniors and those with whom you may not normally get the opportunity to interact. Social functions can be an opening to build professional relationships.
Be sure not to allow these myths to derail your trajectory to the top. If you would like personalized coaching to help you to communicate in the way you want to be perceived for career and business success, contact me for more info on my four-week Professional Charisma Small Group Coaching session beginning March 21.
• Kim Welcome is the CEO of Influential Voice. A communication trainer and coach, she assists businesses and professionals to achieve their goals by helping them to develop deliberate, skillful, polished communication skills. Contact: email@example.com or call 242-225-9013.
Latest posts by The Nassau Guardian (see all)
- Mingoes start slow, finish strong against junior national team - November 15, 2019
- Disney teams up with disaster relief agencies - November 15, 2019
- PM urges ACP countries to intensify response to climate emergency - November 15, 2019