Friday, Jul 3, 2020
HomeHomeAmerican girls allegedly raped on Harbour Island

American girls allegedly raped on Harbour Island

Two American girls, ages 15 and 17, were allegedly raped on Harbour Island by two Bahamian men yesterday, Chief Superintendent Solomon Cash said.

According to a police report, the girls, who are visiting The Bahamas, were at a beach on the island sometime between midnight and 2 a.m. when two men, believed to be residents on the island, allegedly assaulted them.

Cash said a team of detectives traveled from the Central Detective Unit to Harbour Island to investigate.

Two suspects have been arrested and will be flown into New Providence today, Cash said.

These latest reports come after three young girls, ages six, 12 and 12, were sexually assaulted on New Providence.

A teenage boy was arrested and charged in connection with those assaults.

This latest incident will likely raise concern at the U.S. Embassy in Nassau.

The U.S. State Department has consistently warned its citizens travelling to, and living in, The Bahamas to be careful.

In its 2018 crime and safety report, the State Department warned, “The U.S. Embassy [in Nassau] has received reports of assaults, including sexual assaults, at residences, hotel rooms, casinos, outside hotels and on cruise ships. In some sexual assault incidents, the victim reportedly had been drugged.”

In January, the Canadian government warned its citizens to exercise a high degree of caution when travelling to The Bahamas due to high rates of crime, including a reported increase in sexual assaults against tourists.

According to police statistics for 2017, every category of crime reported, with the exception of murder, unlawful sexual intercourse and manslaughter, has decreased.

According to statistics, there were 52 cases of rape reported in 2017, 11 cases of attempted rape and 146 cases of unlawful sexual intercourse.

Assistant Editor at The Nassau Guardian
Travis Cartwright-Carroll is the assistant editor. He covers a wide range of national issues. He joined The Nassau Guardian in 2011 as a copy editor before shifting to reporting. He was promoted to assistant news editor in December 2018.
Education: College of The Bahamas, English
Latest posts by Travis Cartwright-Carroll (see all)
FOLLOW US ON:
Bahamas meets standa
BPL still unclear