Tuesday, Jul 7, 2020
HomeBusinessBaha Mar expects minimal disruption from Crystal Palace demolition

Baha Mar expects minimal disruption from Crystal Palace demolition

Material from the demolition of the former Crystal Palace Resort and Casino will remain at the Baha Mar site and be used as gravel for fill at a later date, Public Relations Consultant for Lenovo Construction Allison North-Jones told Guardian Business yesterday. The demolition is scheduled to take place on Monday and a press release issued yesterday explained that Perfect Luck (No. 2) Ltd. and Lenovo Construction have received the requisite government permits and approvals to commence the demolition of the building.

The release from Lenovo explained that in order to “ensure safety and security, the impacted area will be fenced off five days prior to the commencement of demolition and access will be restricted from that time onward”.

“A safety zone of 500 feet will be established around the site, overseen by local authorities. Law enforcement and security officers will be stationed at security check points 24/7, and the Bahamas Air Sea Rescue Association (BASRA) will be patrolling the adjacent waters,” the release states.

Lenovo Construction Ltd. published a notification in the media yesterday warning that the demolition could cause traffic delays on Monday morning. The building is scheduled to come down at about 7:30 a.m.

“Lenovo Construction Ltd. would like to notify the general public that a permit has been issued by the Ministry of Public Works (weather permitting) to demolish via implosion, The Crystal Palace Hotel and Casino Towers on Cable Beach on Monday, October 1, 2018,” the notification states.

“The implosion is scheduled to begin at 7:30 a.m. and is anticipated to be completed by 9 a.m. Lenovo Construction advises the public that traffic delays and road diversions may take place on West Bay Street (near Melia Nassau Beach resort) between the hours of 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. Traffic delays may extend until 1 p.m.

“For the safety of the general public, please note public access for viewing will not be available and law enforcement will also close the beach between Melia Nassau Beach resort and the Rosewood Baha Mar hotel for portions of the day. Lenovo apologizes for any inconvenience that this may cause, and we appreciate your understanding at this time.”

President of Baha Mar Graeme Davis told Guardian Business last month that the demolition of the former Crystal Palace Resort and Casino will not require the closure of the SLS hotel.

Davis said Baha Mar expects minimal disruption from the demolition as the resort makes way to continue expanding its property. The resort campus has floated ideas of a water park and family-friendly area for the grounds of the old Crystal Palace, which once housed Baha Mar’s offices during the early construction phase of the Grand Hyatt, SLS and Rosewood hotels.

The beach closures and other restricted areas will be monitored by law enforcement “until an all-clear notice is issued”.

“Temporary closures also include the main entrance to Melia Nassau Beach resort, ingress and egress from SLS Baha Mar; internal roads and parking fields located near the Baha Mar Convention Center, Baha Mar Academy, the Baha Mar pier, Pompey Market, the taxi stand at the Pompey Market and the Baha Mar beach,” the release states.

“At Melia, all outdoor pool areas and beaches will be temporarily closed. All temporary closures will be reopened once the official ‘all clear’ has been given by the local authorities.

“There are no anticipated impacts on the public infrastructure, including roadways surrounding the area of Cable Beach, with the exception of ingress and egress to and from the Melia hotel and the SLS Baha Mar from approximately 5 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. on October 1, 2018. For the safety of the general public, there will be no public viewing areas established. Access within the safety zone will be strictly controlled to only those with appropriate credentials issued prior to October 1.”

According to the release the three towers will be razed through an induced collapse, and dust will be “suppressed by 10 large machines providing airborne mist that is designed to bond with dust particles and minimize mitigation”.

Senior Business Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Chester Robards rejoined The Nassau Guardian in November 2017 as a senior business reporter. He has covered myriad topics and events for The Nassau Guardian.
Education: Florida International University, BS in Journalism
FOLLOW US ON:
More loans issued fo
DPM: Govt not legall