A man who was released from prison less than two months ago appeared before a magistrate on Thursday on a murder charge.
Prosecutors say that Franklyn Edgecombe, 50, of Mason’s Addition, is responsible for the December 11 murder of Rico Archer at Fort Fincastle.
Archer’s younger brother, Marco, was murdered in 2011. Police found the 11-year-old’s naked body dumped in bushes a week after he vanished while doing an errand for his mother.
Kofhe Goodman, also known as Elvardo Ferguson, was sentenced to 55 years for the murder.
Although he was not required to enter a plea to the murder charge, Edgecombe, who is otherwise known as “Chili”, told Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt that he had been “falsely accused”.
Edgecombe said he did not know the deceased and had been freed from prison seven weeks ago, after the appellate court quashed an armed robbery conviction for which he had been sentenced to 23 years.
Edgecombe did not have a lawyer and was denied bail.
He returns to court on February 21, when it is expected that the case will be fast-tracked to the Supreme Court for trial.
Appearing in the same court was Paul Adderley Jr., 26, who is accused of the murder of a store customer during an armed robbery.
Adderley, of Acklins Street, is accused of the December 12 murder of Mario Cartwright, who was shot dead as he entered Manda’s Variety Store at First Street, The Grove.
Adderley is also accused of robbing the store of $200. Police allegedly caught Adderley with a black 9mm pistol, with its serial number erased, and six rounds of 9mm ammunition on December 15.
Adderley was not required to enter pleas to the charges and remanded to prison until February 21.
His attorney, Shaka Serville, told the magistrate that police had forced him to sign a confession statement.
Latest posts by Artesia Davis (see all)
- Haitian man admits fraudulent citizenship bid - February 21, 2020
- Man charged with murder - February 21, 2020
- American model arrested after found with marijuana at airport - February 20, 2020