D’Aguilar: February poised to see 12% increase in stopover visitors
Following a 15 percent increase in stopover visitors in January, Minister of Tourism and Aviation Dionisio D’Aguilar said February is poised to see a 12 percent gain.
D’Aguilar was contributing to debate on a resolution to adopt the Fiscal Strategy Report in the House of Assembly on Wednesday.
“For the 11 months ended November 30, 2018, preliminary data reveals that the number of foreign visitors to our country increased by a whopping 425,369 persons or 7.7 percent. More importantly, stopover visitors – that portion of our foreign visitors that spend the most, in fact, 20 times more than a cruise passenger – increased by 205,542 persons or a mind-blowing 17.1 percent. These additional visitors, Mr. Speaker, contributed over $300 million of additional spending in our economy in 2018,” D’Aguilar said.
“I am delighted to report that, as reported in the Caribbean Journal, the increase in stopover visitors is spread around The Bahamas, with Abaco being up by 17.6 percent, Eleuthera being up by a mind-blowing 28.5 percent, San Salvador up by 8.8 percent, Andros up by 8.8 percent, Berry Islands up by 18.9 percent, Grand Bahama up by 3.2 percent and Exuma up by a modest 1 percent, but up nonetheless.
“And, projections for January and February 2019 indicate that the number of stopover visitors to The Bahamas will continue to grow by another 15 percent in January and 12 percent in February.”
Earlier this week, Governor of The Central Bank of The Bahamas John Rolle said Baha Mar was the catalyst for the strong growth of stopover visitors to New Providence, and that the capital was “the strongest magnet for stopover visitor growth”.