Bahamas Power and Light (BPL) Chairman Dr. Donovan Moxey said yesterday that the company is still awaiting a report from its insurers on several fires that took place at the Clifton Pier Power Plant last year.
When asked whether he could provide an update on the probe into the fires, Moxey said, “We have received a report from the fire department, and that report has been shared with the government officials in Cabinet.
“We also know that our insurers are still working on that and doing their investigation.
“They have a report, which we have not seen, and so we’ve made a request of our insurers to provide that report.
“So, once we as BPL have all of the reports associated with the fire, we will then look to come to the public and actually make some statements on those.”
Minister of Works Desmond Bannister said in January that the results of a probe into the fires will soon be tabled in the House of Assembly.
The document has not been tabled yet, however, and Bannister has declined to comment on details from the report.
The first fire erupted on September 7 around 10:30 p.m. and caused damage to station C, which houses two of the company’s largest generators, prompting BPL to load-shed throughout New Providence.
Firefighters responded to two additional fires in the same area days later.
While the first fire destroyed a generator at the plant, BPL said the second and third fires were minor and no additional damage was caused as a result.
The damage sustained caused a spike in consumer bills as the electricity company continues to grapple with generation issues.
Education: Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish
Latest posts by Rachel Knowles (see all)
- Bannister: Reliable and cheaper electricity by year’s end - May 23, 2019
- ‘They did what they had to do’ - May 22, 2019
- Bahamas will not take sides in U.S.-China trade war, Henfield says - May 22, 2019