There is another confirmed case of measles in The Bahamas, Health Minister Dr. Duane Sands said yesterday.
This is the second laboratory confirmed case for the year.
Earlier this month, it was confirmed that a four-year-old tourist had the disease.
Speaking to the media yesterday, Sands said, “We now can confirm that the brother of the first patient developed signs and symptoms of measles but that child was quarantined and has posed no threat to any additional person.”
He added: “The child has been essentially quarantined and detained at home… The only interaction [the child] had has been pretty much with parents.”
Measles is known to be very contagious.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes, “Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90 percent of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.”
Sands said the two cases do not indicate that there is a national measles problem in The Bahamas.
“Bear in mind that it’s the same event,” the minister said.
“It’s a brother and sister so I don’t think that necessarily you can extrapolate that we’re having a bigger problem because [of] a brother and sister. You know, they were exposed to each other.”
Sands has expressed concern over the current level of vaccine coverage in the country, noting that at least 95 percent is necessary for herd immunity, but that there was only 91 percent coverage in 2017.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
Latest posts by Jasper Ward (see all)
- Chinese embassy says U.S. should contribute more to Caribbean - May 21, 2019
- Mixed views on BPL reliability in Abaco - May 21, 2019
- Residents given keys to new homes on Abaco - May 18, 2019