Amid public concerns in the wake of two alleged child abductions, the mother of an 11-year-old boy murdered in 2011 yesterday renewed her call for the implementation of the MARCO Alert and a sexual offenders register.
Marco Archer’s remains were found on September 28, 2011, five days after he failed to return home after leaving to buy candy.
His naked, decomposing body was found wrapped in a sheet behind a Cable Beach apartment complex and his clothing was found in the garbage in front of the building.
His mother, Tryphiema Meadows, told The Nassau Guardian, “It’s almost been eight years and they [haven’t done anything] with it and things are still happening to children.
“I don’t know why they [haven’t done anything] but they need to work on that and work on that fast because children [are] getting hurt and it’s so sad. You know, these are just innocent children.”
She added: “All I can say to [Minister of National Security Marvin Dames] is to please hurry and deal with it because I know [there’re] a lot of children out there who are at risk.”
Meadows’ comments follow the alleged abduction of a six-year-old girl from her home off Wilton Street shortly after 2 a.m. on Sunday.
She was found unharmed a short time later, according to police.
Two weeks earlier, a three-year-old boy was kidnapped while riding his bicycle in front of his South Beach home.
He was allegedly kidnapped by two women in a silver car and dropped off at a wash house on Joe Farrington Road and Fox Hill Road the following morning.
Meadows said the recent incidents have been very hard for her family “because we thought it was over”.
She said she constantly fears for the safety of her grandchildren and other children in The Bahamas.
“I don’t want to go through this again because it [isn’t] easy,” Meadows said.
The MARCO Alert system, which was named after Marco, is expected to be similar to the U.S. Amber Alert, which is a voluntary partnership involving law enforcement agencies, broadcasters, transportation agencies and the wireless industry to activate an urgent bulletin in serious child abduction cases.
The day Marco disappeared, authorities told his relatives they had to wait 24 hours before investigating, according to former Minister of National Security the late Dr. Bernard Nottage.
On Monday, Dames said the government has “ironed out all of the kinks” with the pilot program for the alert.
“We now have a proposal that we will be submitting very shortly and we will be doing that,” he said.
Last month, the minister said “we’re still on track” to introduce the sexual offenders register by the end of the first quarter.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
Latest posts by Jasper Ward (see all)
- ‘I thought we would die’ - September 13, 2019
- Memories of Dorian haunt those who lived to tell the tale - September 13, 2019
- RBDF chief: We’re not focused on the criticisms right now - September 12, 2019