Minister of National Security Marvin Dames said yesterday that the request for proposals (RFP) to determine the distributors for body cameras has officially been sent out and is available to the public.
“The RFP is currently out and I think you can find it on the government’s website,” Dames said on the ZNS radio show The Conversation with Shenique Miller.
“And so, we’re now looking for proposals from possible vendors. And so, I think it will be out for a month and after that month’s period we will then get it back and decide which company is best suited to move on with the contract.
“And I believe it was out now for maybe more than a week, maybe going on two weeks.”
He added, “We’re hoping to add dash cams maybe during the next fiscal period, because we want to bring about a high level of transparency, and I think the public is entitled to it and so are police officers who are out there doing their jobs to the best of their ability.
“They want to know too that they, too, can be protected with the use of these cams if someone decides to wrongfully accuse them.”
The subject of police wearing body cams has been in heavy discussion since 11 fatal police-involved shootings were recorded in 2018.
Dames previously promised that the body cams would be implemented by June.
The ministry seems to be on schedule.
According to the government’s website, proposals are due at 5 p.m. on March 25.
The proposal requires the provision of 200 body-worn cameras and 200 dash cams and video storage solutions.
A successful bidder will be announced on April 9 and the execution of agreement will take place on April 23.