In the wake of a recent string of child abductions on New Providence, residents who live in the affected communities said yesterday that they are on alert.
It’s been nearly a month since three-year-old Shavar Bain was abducted while riding a bicycle outside his home in South Beach.
Cortez Cox, a father in the community, said he’s noticed that fewer children are playing outside.
Aside from his son, several children live in the same house as Cox. He said they are all “afraid”.
“They don’t want to go outside,” Cox said.
He added, “They are basically the same age [as the children who were taken].”
Joyanne Josey, who lives on Oleander Avenue, said she’s noticed the same thing.
While she does not have children of her own, Josey said she usually looks out for children playing outside.
“We have children playing in the street, so we usually look out for them,” Josey said.
“[But] I haven’t seen them in the street recently, so I think everyone is more alert now as to allowing their children out in the streets.”
In the Wilton Street community, there are similar concerns.
Earlier this month, an eight-year-old girl was taken from her home in the area and dropped off at another location shortly afterwards.
“This is a crazy area,” said Alphonso Sainville.
He continued, “I got a grandson here, you know, and we look at him like a cat looking at bird, because he likes to run outside.”
The 93-year-old said he had heard of the kidnappings, but did not realize that one happened so close to his home.
“I have two grandsons. One is eight and the other one is four or five, but I am glad we’re talking about it because I will be even more on the lookout,” he said.
Another Wilton Street resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “The abductions as of late are very concerning for me as a parent. I don’t understand where it came from.”
There have been six child abductions on New Providence in the last month.
The first was the alleged kidnapping of Shavar Bain on February 16, reportedly by two women in a silver car.
Bain was dropped off at a wash house on Joe Farrington Road and Fox Hill Road the following morning, police said.
The second incident involved the eight-year-old girl who was taken from her home off Wilton Street on March 3 and later dropped off at the entrance of Woodlawn Gardens graveyard, police said.
Last Wednesday, police reported that an eight-year-old boy was taken from a park near his home on Emmanuel Drive, off Soldier Road, and later dropped off unharmed near the entrance of the city dump.
Police said he was taken by a female in a gray vehicle.
On Thursday, police reported that three boys were walking in Kool Acres when they were picked up by a woman who was driving a dark-colored vehicle.
A short time later, police said, the 10-year-old boy and his five-year-old brother were dropped back in Kool Acres. The eight-year-old was dropped off near the entrance of the city dump on Tonique Williams Darling Highway.
Police said that the boys were all unharmed.
Nobody has been taken into custody in connection with any of the reported incidents.
However, Chief Superintendent Solomon Cash said on Friday that police suspect three of the incidents may be connected.
He said police are concerned by the random abductions because they are unable to determine the motive of the perpetrator.
Six children abducted and dropped off
Latest posts by The Nassau Guardian (see all)
- New Providence Modified Pitch Softball League action - May 18, 2019
- Ignite! - May 18, 2019
- Dames and NNWC attend neighborhood watch conference - May 18, 2019