Monday, Mar 30, 2020
Homenewsletter-sportsStampers, Mingoes move on to NPBA semifinals

Stampers, Mingoes move on to NPBA semifinals

A couple of teams booked their tickets into the New Providence Basketball Association (NPBA) semifinals on Monday night, and a couple more will join them tonight.

In division two action, the Triple K. Stampers defeated Sun Oil Rockets, 117-113, in overtime, winning that best-of-three first round playoff series two games to one. They will play the pennant-winning Your Essential Store Giants in the NPBA semifinals, starting Friday at the A.F. Adderley Gymnasium.

In the featured game, the University of The Bahamas (UB) Mingoes kept their season alive, gliding past the JD’s Seafood Shockers, 92-82. The Mingoes won that series two games to one and will play the undefeated defending champions Commonwealth Bank Giants in the NPBA semifinals. That series will also get
started on Friday evening at A.F. Adderley.
Division II
Stampers 117, Rockets 113 – OT

The fifth-seeded Triple K. Stampers showed tremendous resiliency after dropping the opening game of their playoff series with the fourth-seeded Sun Oil Rockets. They came back to win the final two games of the series, including a thrilling 117-113 overtime win on Monday.

The Stampers overcame a five-point deficit with 36 seconds remaining in regulation and then closed the overtime period on an 11-3 scoring run to come away with a stunning victory. It doesn’t get any easier for them as they will meet the pennant-winning Your Essential Store Giants in the NPBA semifinals.

Johnley Noel was a thorn in the Rockets’ side all series, and Monday night proved to be no different. The Stampers’ team captain exploded for a game-high 38 points and added 19 rebounds in the overtime win. Michael Turnquest added 25 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three steals. Troy Trembley scored 15 points and pulled down a whopping 23 rebounds to go along with three blocks and two steals, and point guard Wilben Seraphin who had a huge lay-up at the end of regulation to force overtime, finished with 10 points, three assists, two rebounds, two steals and two blocks. Teashon Gibson and Marques Cooper added nine apiece off the bench.

Bertrum Minnis paced the Rockets with 20 points off the bench. He added six rebounds and three steals. Craig Gibson had 19 points, six rebounds, five steals and two assists. Latrel Hinsey had 17 points off the bench, team captain Crispin Gibson contributed 13 points, and Cameron Chery added 11 points, seven rebounds, four assists and two steals. Joseph Adderley was their only other player in double figures with 10 points. He added five rebounds, three assists and two blocks.

The game was close throughout. Led by Turnquest and Cooper, the Stampers ended the first quarter on an 8-2 scoring run to take a 27-19 advantage after the opening quarter. The Rockets bounced back in the second quarter. After falling behind by 11 midway through the quarter, Minnis and Chery ignited a rally which brought them to within two with 2:38 remaining in the half. A three-point shot from Hinsey tied the game at 40 with 1:50 on the clock, and the game was knotted at 44 at the half.

The game remained close for much of the third quarter, and the Rockets took a 69-64 lead into the final period. After the Rockets got up by seven early in the fourth, the Stampers battled back. They went on an 8-0 scoring run, capped by a three-point shot from Noel, to take a 72-71 lead with 8:03 remaining in the fourth. The game remained close from this point onward, until Hinsey appeared to put the game away with a lay-up with just 36 seconds remaining. That gave the Rockets a five-point lead, 98-93.

However, the Stampers would not go away. They made four out of four free shots in the final 36 seconds and Seraphin converted a huge lay-up with seven seconds left, enabling them to tie the game at 99. Adderley missed a three-point shot for the Rockets at the buzzer.

After falling behind by four, the Stampers ended the overtime session with an 11-3 scoring run to record the thrilling victory. Noel hit some huge free shots down the stretch to preserve the victory.

In the other division two semifinal series, the defending champions Breezes High Flyers await the winner of the series between the third-seeded Aliv Buckets and sixth-seeded Leno Eagle’s Nest. That series is tied at a game apiece.
Division I
Mingoes 92, Shockers 82

The University of The Bahamas (UB) Mingoes were left for dead after being slaughtered in the opening game of their best-of-three first round playoff series against the JD’s Seafood Shockers. However, star player Kemsy Sylvestre showed up for the final two games of the series, and they persevered, moving on to the next round where they will face the undefeated defending champions Commonwealth Bank Giants. The fourth-seeded Mingoes won on Monday, 92-82, over the fifth-seeded Shockers, and will now meet the Giants in the NPBA semifinals.

Sylvestre had his second straight big game to lead the Mingoes to the wire-to-wire win. He played all 45 minutes and scored 31 points in an overtime victory in game two over the weekend, and then erupted for 29 points on 10-for-17 shooting in game three. The Mingoes’ forward added five rebounds, four blocks, three assists and two steals. Rashad Sturrup and Justin Smith both contributed 15 points, and Antwan Bevans added 13. Sturrup had eight rebounds and five assists and Smith pulled down seven boards. Bevans contributed seven rebounds and two assists. Team captain Ramon Dames had seven points, seven assists, six rebounds and two steals.

Adam Johnson came off the bench to score 23 for the Shockers and lead them in scoring. He added 10 rebounds and two steals. Franko Bethell was their only other player in double figures as he struck for 12 points and added eight rebounds. Lenny Oscar and Bernard Bonaby were held to nine apiece, and team captain William Rigby and Cameron Adderley added eight apiece. Oscar had four rebounds, three assists and three steals; Bonaby had seven rebounds and two assists; Rigby contributed eight rebounds and two steals; and Adderley had five steals and four rebounds.

The Mingoes took charge from the opening quarter, and withstood a second half rally to come out on top. They took a double-digit lead midway through the second and held on for a 28-15 advantage after one. The Mingoes kept the pressure on in the second quarter, opening as much as a 23-point lead before settling for a 53-34 advantage at the half.

The Shockers began their comeback in the third quarter. They scored the first seven points of the third to immediately get back in the game. The Mingoes got the lead back up to 18 at one point, but the Shockers scored seven of the final nine points in the third to pull to within 70-57 after three.

The Shockers got to as close as five points in the final period but simply ran out of gas at the end. A lay-up from Sylvestre gave the Shockers an 87-75 lead with just 3:09 remaining. The Shockers would get no closer than seven the rest of the way.

In the other division one semifinal series, the PJ’s Stingers await the winner of the series between the third-seeded Discount Distributors Rockets and the sixth-seeded Leno Regulators. That series is tied at a game apiece.

The Giants and Stingers secured first-round byes in division one, and the Giants and High Flyers earned first-round byes in division two.

Sheldon Longley

Sports Editor at The Nassau Guardian
Sheldon Longley joined The Nassau Guardian in January 2001 as a sports reporter. He was promoted to sports editor in 2008. Sheldon has an extensive background in sports reporting. He covered three Olympic Games and three world championships, along with multiple smaller regional and local games.
Education: College of The Bahamas, Associates in Accounting

Latest posts by Sheldon Longley (see all)

Young tennis players
Controversy brewing