In the wake of a string of recent child abductions on New Providence, Police Commissioner Anthony Ferguson said yesterday that there is no need for the public to panic, as the police have the “situation in hand”.
“The Bahamian people need not be in any state of panic,” Ferguson said.
“The Royal Bahamas Police Force, along with members of the public, [are] actively involved in this matter. I expect pretty shortly that we [will be] able to bring some resolution to this situation.”
He added: “Let me say straight off the crack of the gun that the Bahamian people can be assured that we have this situation in hand.
“I was advised this morning that the assistant commissioner of crime management, along with his team, [are] actively investigating this matter.
“They’re following significant leads and will continue to bring this investigation to closure. But I will say that all of the incidents are not categorized as kidnapping, about three of those are matters that we’re looking seriously at.”
There have been a number of reported abductions in the last few weeks.
On March 7, three boys – ages five, eight and 10 – were reportedly taken while walking in Kool Acres. The five-year-old and the 10-year-old were dropped back to the area, whereas the eight-year-old was left in front of the city dump less than an hour later.
On March 6, an eight-year-old boy was taken from a park near his home on Emmanuel Drive, off Soldier Road, and later dropped off unharmed near the entrance of the New Providence Landfill.
On March 3, an eight-year-old girl was taken from her Culmerville home and later dropped off at the entrance of Woodlawn Gardens graveyard, police said.
On February 16, three-year-old Shavar Bain was allegedly kidnapped by two women in a silver car while he was riding his bicycle outside his South Beach home.
He was dropped off at a wash house on Farrington Road and Fox Hill Road the following morning, police said.
Last week, Chief Superintendent Solomon Cash said police “suspect that three of these matters may be connected”.
“I am safe to say that we are looking for a female suspect in these three matters who now has the similar description and drives a similar vehicle released to the media earlier,” Cash said.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
Latest posts by Jasper Ward (see all)
- Residents given keys to new homes on Abaco - May 18, 2019
- Ferreira says govt will make Disney EIA forLighthouse Point public - May 18, 2019
- Nearly 3,000 owe BPL $10 mil. - May 17, 2019