Tuesday, Jun 18, 2019
HomeNews‘Significant loss’ expected for GB shipyard after accident

‘Significant loss’ expected for GB shipyard after accident

The Grand Bahama Shipyard will experience “significant loss” as operations will be slowed down following an on-site accident earlier this week, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Peter Turnquest said yesterday.

At least eight people were injured after a crane collapsed onto the Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas cruise ship, which was docked for maintenance at the shipyard, according to Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCC).

Speaking outside Cabinet, Turnquest said, “They have indicated to us that this is a significant loss for them as this is the primary dock for the cruise ship work that they do. They do have two other dry docks that will continue operation.

“In fact, they have some ongoing works now that will recommence this morning and they will also be able to do work alongside the pier for works that can be done in that way.

“There is anticipated to be some slowdown in the amount of work that can manage but they do have a commitment to continue forward and to maintain as much of the employment as they can.”

Minister of State for Grand Bahama Kwasi Thompson said officials from the shipyard assured the government that the necessary safety procedures were in place at the time of the accident.

“…Their emergency procedures worked, and as a result of their emergency procedures working there was no loss of life and injuries were kept to a minimum,” Thompson said.

“But an investigation [has] to take place and answers must come forth and so we are unable at this time to speak to [the] cause of the accident.”

At nearly 1,200 feet long, Oasis of the Seas is one of the largest cruise ships in the world.

It has been in operation for fewer than 10 years, with its maiden voyage having taken place in December 2009.

According to Royal Caribbean’s website, the ship was slated for voyages in the Caribbean this month, and Europe in the summer, before undergoing extensive refurbishments later in the year.

Jasper Ward

Staff Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Jasper Ward started The Nassau Guardian in September 2018. Ward covers a wide range of national and social issues.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
FOLLOW US ON:
Separate detention c
WSC union calls for