Monday, Jun 24, 2019
HomeNewsDames congratulates force on closing abduction cases

Dames congratulates force on closing abduction cases

After police made two arrests over the weekend in connection with a string of abductions across New Providence, Minister of National Security Marvin Dames yesterday called the investigation a job well done.

“I have the utmost confidence in the commissioner of police and his team,” Dames told reporters at Meliá Nassau Beach resort.

“If you can recall outside of Parliament last week I said that the police were closing in on this matter and close in they did.

“I assured you that by weekend they should have had it all wrapped up and by weekend they had it all wrapped up.

“This is a clear example of where we’re trying to take the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) and all of our law enforcement agencies.

“…We have the confidence and the men and women of these agencies to do their job and to do it well and you’re seeing that.

“Kudos goes out to the members of the Royal Bahamas Police Force as well as all of those persons who would have assisted in some way including the community in bringing this matter to the head.

“I mean, when you look at these young kids who were able to sit with the police and give the police a good visual of who this individual is and the police were able to capture that in a composite, it’s amazing.

“It speaks to the resilience of these young children and I’m so proud of them that they were able to do that.”

Between February 16 and March 29, seven children were taken in five separate instances from or near their homes and dropped off at various locations across New Providence.

Chief Superintendent Solomon Cash told reporters Sunday that police have arrested two women; one of whom, he said, confessed to four abductions.

The second woman, a 35-year-old was an accomplice in one of the abductions, Cash said.

Cash did not identify the suspects, however, he said while the prime suspect, the 29-year-old, was arrested in New Providence, her accomplice was picked up in Eleuthera.

Last week, Dames called upon the assistance of the public in identifying the suspect.

During the course of the investigation, police released four composite sketches of the alleged abductor. On Sunday, Cash thanked the public for its assistance in the matter, adding that the composite sketches bear a striking resemblance to the prime suspect.

Laurent Rolle

Staff Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Laurent started at The Nassau Guardian in May 2018 as a paginator. He transitioned to reporting in February 2019. Laurent has covered multiple crime stories. He is the author of “Yello”, which was published in February 2019.
Education: Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) 3rd Year

Latest posts by Laurent Rolle (see all)

FOLLOW US ON:
Colina wins appeal i
New study provides h