The regulations for the MARCO Alert system are expected to go before Cabinet today, Minister of National Security Marvin Dames said yesterday.
Speaking to reporters outside the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services, Dames said, “That particular paper should be going before Cabinet sometime tomorrow and so hopefully we’ll see what happens from there. We’ll see how Cabinet decides.”
Between February 16 and March 29, seven children were taken in five separate instances from or near their homes and dropped off at various locations across New Providence.
Five of them were dropped near the entrance of the dump off Tonique Williams Darling Highway. One was left at a wash house off Joe Farrington Road and Fox Hill Road, and another at a graveyard in Woodlawn Gardens. None of the children was harmed.
The incidents have raised concerns about the delayed introduction of the MARCO Alert, which was named after 11-year-old Marco Archer, who was murdered in 2011.
The MARCO Alert system was expected to be similar to the U.S. Amber Alert, which is a voluntary partnership involving law enforcement agencies, broadcasters, transportation agencies and the wireless industry to activate an urgent bulletin in serious child abduction cases.
The day Archer disappeared, authorities told his relatives they had to wait 24 hours before investigating, according to former Minister of National Security the late Dr. Bernard Nottage.
Earlier this month, Dames told The Nassau Guardian that the system is slated to be rolled out by July.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
Latest posts by Jasper Ward (see all)
- Doctors go on strike - August 21, 2019
- DPM: No finances will be spared - August 21, 2019
- D’Aguilar open to meeting with Compass Point owner - August 21, 2019