Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019
HomeNewsOver 10,000 traffic infractions so far this year

Over 10,000 traffic infractions so far this year

With well over 10,000 traffic-related cases being sent to court this year so far, Chief Superintendent Craig Stubbs, who heads the Royal Bahamas Police Force Traffic Division, said yesterday that drivers can expect to see increased enforcement of traffic laws.

Stubbs said within the next few months, the public can expect the launch of several public service announcements and other initiatives aimed at encouraging safe driving.

When asked if there will be more mobile officers on the road this Easter weekend, Stubbs said, “That’s ongoing now. You’re going to see more enforcement. Trust me, we’re [going] to adopt a zero tolerance this weekend and the weeks ahead to ensure the safety of all road users. Whatever traffic offense you committed or infraction you’re responsible for, you’ll be reported at the scene.”

He continued, “…We have sent well over 10,000 files to court for traffic infractions,” he said.

“We have also sent over at least 1,000 files to court for persons driving who were involved in traffic accidents.”

He also said many accidents are occurring because motorists are exercising “poor driving ethics”.

“All of this is just drivers making decisions, poor driving ethics and the drivers are not being conscious or alert,” he said.

Stubbs added that accidents often occur because some drivers do not signal before they switch lanes and are “unaware of the close proximity of the vehicle that they’re trying to overtake or turn in front of”.

“So, when you look at it, drivers need to be more responsible…and be more alert and aware of their surroundings at all times,” Stubbs said.

According to statistics released by Commissioner of Police Anthony Ferguson in January, 69 people died in traffic accidents in 2018, a 29 percent increase from 2017.

According to The Guardian’s records, there have been 21 traffic fatalities for the year so far.

Laurent Rolle

Staff Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Laurent started at The Nassau Guardian in May 2018 as a paginator. He transitioned to reporting in February 2019. Laurent has covered multiple crime stories. He is the author of “Yello”, which was published in February 2019.
Education: Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) 3rd Year

Latest posts by Laurent Rolle (see all)

FOLLOW US ON:
Immigration backlog
Despite low tourist