Cabinet approves introduction of MARCO Alert
Cabinet has approved the introduction of the MARCO Alert, Minister of National Security Marvin Dames said.
“I am pleased to say that Cabinet would have approved, the approvals of the CCTV, as well as the approval for the MARCO Alert and so we’re not wasting time,” Dames said last week.
“We know exactly what it is that we need to do. We’re holding to that. We’re holding to our timetable and we’re executing and we’ll continue on this road until we get to where we need to go, until the Bahamian people can sit back and say they like how things are going.
“But we’ve still got a lot of work to do but we’re committed to it and we’re committed to protecting the great people of this nation.”
Between February 16 and March 29, there were seven child abductions in five separate instances across New Providence.
Five of the children were dropped near the entrance of the dump off Tonique Williams Darling Highway. One was left at a wash house off Joe Farrington Road and Fox Hill Road, and another at a graveyard in Woodlawn Gardens. None of the children was harmed.
The incidents raised concerns about the delayed introduction of the MARCO Alert, which was named after 11-year-old Marco Archer who was murdered in 2011.
The MARCO Alert system is expected to be similar to the U.S. Amber Alert, which is a voluntary partnership involving law enforcement agencies, broadcasters, transportation agencies and the wireless industry to activate an urgent bulletin in serious child abduction cases.
The day Archer disappeared, authorities told his relatives they had to wait 24 hours before investigating, according to former Minister of National Security the late Dr. Bernard Nottage.
Earlier this month, Dames told The Nassau Guardian that the system is slated to be rolled out by July.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
Latest posts by Jasper Ward (see all)
- Residents given keys to new homes on Abaco - May 18, 2019
- Ferreira says govt will make Disney EIA forLighthouse Point public - May 18, 2019
- Nearly 3,000 owe BPL $10 mil. - May 17, 2019