Bahamas will not support U.S. military action in Venezuela
The Bahamas will not back the United States if it decides to take military action in Venezuela, Minister of Foreign Affairs Darren Henfield said yesterday.
“We’re not backing the United States,” Henfield said.
“What we’re doing is saying to Venezuela, ‘You have to hold free and fair elections at the earliest opportunity.’”
He added, “The Bahamas does not believe in military intervention in any country. We’re a peaceful country.”
Venezuela has been facing a political and economic collapse that has created a humanitarian crisis and caused millions to leave the country.
On Sunday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed that the Trump administration was making contingency plans for U.S. military intervention in Venezuela.
In January, The Bahamas was among several Organization of American States (OAS) members to recognize Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaidó as the country’s interim president amid massive protests.
Following a meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump in March, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis said that The Bahamas stood “firm” on its decision to recognize Guaidó as president.
Yesterday, while appearing as a guest on Darold Miller Live, Henfield said, “Let me tell you why I think we’re not meddling in people’s internal affairs, we have actually taken the principled position.
“How do you ignore millions of Venezuelans migrating into neighboring countries?
“…This region depends largely on tourism. So, do we sit idly by and watch Venezuela implode into a failed state, which is what it is now, or do we take an assertive position toward elections? All over the world, humanitarian crises such as [what] we are seeing in Venezuela have called for interventions.”
Last week, Guaidó went to a military base in Caracas to proclaim the end of socialist President Nicolas Maduro’s regime.
What Venezuela’s government described as an “attempted coup”, though, was short-lived.
Maduro remains in power.