Dames: RBDF will make improvements
The Royal Bahamas Defence Force (RBDF) will seek to improve how it serves the men and women in the organization, Minister of National Security Marvin Dames said yesterday.
Dames was referring to criticism leveled against the RBDF by the public and a relative of Petty Officer Philip Perpall, who was murdered while on duty at Government House on April 28.
“I’m certain that the commodore would have taken into account what has been said, and is taking steps to address anything that he sees the need and his agency sees the need to improve upon,” Dames said.
“This is a very sad situation and we can’t fault anyone for making comments.
“We just have to look and see what we need to do to improve, and to provide better service to those persons who continue to give their lives in the service of our country, and that’s what’s important to us.”
At Perpall’s funeral last week, his brother Tyronne Perpall delivered harsh criticism of the RBDF and its treatment of his brother in his early career as well as its security protocols. He also accused the RBDF of trying to sweep the incident under the rug.
He challenged the organization not to allow his brother’s death to be in vain.
“My brother’s senseless death must have some purpose and must have some meaning,” Perpall said.
Dames said, “We just have to look and see what we need to do to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our officers.
“People are allowed to criticize. That’s how we get better.”
He added, “This is a very touching and very unfortunate situation, so I’m not going to get between that, and this is a matter too that is very close to me on both sides.
“It’s a very unfortunate and very emotional time, and people are allowed to express themselves.”
RBDF Able Seaman Jevon Seymour was charged with Philip Perpall’s murder.
Education: Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish
Latest posts by Rachel Knowles (see all)
- Hotel union strike vote was about lack of negotiations - June 14, 2019
- Hanna-Martin defends Western Air deal - June 14, 2019
- Govt committed $3 million for MARCO Alert - June 13, 2019