Five daily habits of highly successful people
Being a success in any industry calls for a strong commitment to a clear set of habits. John Maxwell, an author and leadership expert, is known for the saying: “Everything rises and falls on leadership.” When giving this week’s article some thought, I couldn’t help but think that “everything rises and falls on habits”.
We all know that habits can either help or hurt your success in life. Bad habits can fester and grow into a lifestyle that takes you away from the things you want to do; good habits can help you create a life that’s full of action and accomplishment.
If you were to look at someone you respect, someone who’s successful, you would see that they spend each day doing the things that help them accomplish their biggest goals. This isn’t to say they’re perfect — because no one is — but despite the things that are not perfect in their lives, they continue to make moves that have a positive impact. And it starts with their daily habits.
Here are five daily habits of highly successful people, habits you can adapt to create the life you truly want to live. Use it as a checklist of sorts and rate yourself.
1. Successful people plan out their day the night before. It’s easy to get off track when you don’t have a plan. Without planning what your day will look like, you wake up not knowing what you want to do or accomplish. Successful people spend a little time the night before giving themselves clear goals for the next day. Then they wake up and go down their list. Life doesn’t always work out as planned, but with a plan, you can adjust without losing momentum.
2. Successful people read books to get inspired. Reading is an essential element in success; books contain so much knowledge. Apparently, Elon Musk would read at least four hours a day growing up. Four hours. And look how successful he became. There isn’t necessarily a defined length as to how much time you should be reading, but forming a daily reading habit will expand your knowledge and help you on your journey to success.
3. Successful people make their health a priority. What you eat and how much you exercise affect every area of your life. Successful people use their exercise as a time to reset and plan. And they make smart food choices that will give them the energy they need to accomplish everything on their daily to-do list. So, what’s for dinner? Is the gym on your to-do list? Choose wisely.
4. Successful people don’t get distracted by what other people are doing. Other people’s journeys to success can be inspiring; you can learn so much – about their mistakes, their victories, what to do, what not to do. But if you start comparing your progress to theirs, instead of using their stories as inspiration, you can feel jealous, stressed, unworthy. Successful people realize their journey is unique and can’t be compared. So don’t get stuck in the comparison trap – stay focused on your ‘why’.
5. Successful people live each day as if it were the last. Life is busy, it’s chaotic and so you tend to want to focus on the future. We all do it — worry about what’s next. But while planning is important, so is living – being fully present. Life is short, and there’s no guarantee as to when it will end. Successful people live each day as if it were their last and make the most out of each moment – and so should you.
When you look at a big goal or your ultimate vision, it’s common to get frustrated at the enormity of what you’re trying to accomplish. If you wake up each day determined to spend it forming good habits, you give yourself a better chance at success. So use these five habits as a starting place to build whatever a successful life means to you.
If you like this article or would like to know the many other habits highly productive and successful people have, then you would love my upcoming workshop, “The Productivity Strategy”, a one-day workshop that focuses on the most important habits and time management strategies to become your most productive self. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
• Keshelle is a multi-award-winning entrepreneur, corporate and business trainer and the chief executive officer of the Training Authority. She is the former executive director of the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce, Chamber Institute and an internationally recognized speaker and author. A leading expert in corporate training, technology performance and entrepreneurship, she has helped thousands of people fulfill their vision, obtain mastery and become more productive in their lives. To comment on the article or join her list for free monthly training tips, email email@example.com.