Foulkes: Oban amendments headed to Cabinet
Minister of Labour Dion Foulkes said yesterday that a report on the proposed amendments to the government’s heads of agreement (HOA) with Oban Energies will soon be presented to Cabinet.
In March, the government and Oban began renegotiating the controversial agreement, but there has been little talk on the issue since then. However, Foulkes said the two sides are still in talks.
“We had a meeting as recently as, not last week, but the week before last. Our chief negotiator for the government and the chief negotiator for Oban and Oban’s lawyer had a conference,” he said while speaking on Guardian Radio’s Morning Blend with Dwight Strachan.
“I am awaiting a full report from the technical committee in terms of the recommendations, which I will take to Cabinet, and I would await Cabinet directions.”
Foulkes added, “I really cannot give you a timeline, but I could say it should happen soon. It’s a question of receiving the report and taking it to Cabinet as it relates to the proposed amendments to the heads of agreement.”
The government signed a heads of agreement with Oban Energies on February 10, 2018, however, the public was not notified at the time.
The Minnis administration held a signing on February 19, 2018 with then Oban Energies Non-Executive Chairman Peter Krieger; it was later called a ceremonial signing.
The government signed the agreement without an environmental impact assessment in place – a major point of contention for environmentalists and others.
Following weeks of backlash, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis admitted last March that the government made a series of missteps with the deal. He said the government would seek to review the heads of agreement.
Earlier this year, Foulkes told The Nassau Guardian that the negotiations with Oban would determine whether the deal moves forward.
Education: Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish
Latest posts by Rachel Knowles (see all)
- Hotel union strike vote was about lack of negotiations - June 14, 2019
- Hanna-Martin defends Western Air deal - June 14, 2019
- Govt committed $3 million for MARCO Alert - June 13, 2019