Govt committed $3 million for MARCO Alert
Minister of National Security Marvin Dames announced that the government has committed $3 million to the development of the MARCO Alert system.
Dames said that a contract with a Bahamian company called Multimedia Technology is being finalized for the development of the software.
The system is expected to be similar to the U.S. Amber Alert, which is a voluntary partnership involving law enforcement agencies, broadcasters, transportation agencies and the wireless industry to activate an urgent bulletin in serious child abduction cases.
“The MARCO Alert system is a committed capital investment in technology valued at $3.05 million payable over three years and will provide a secure and reliable network to disseminate information to the public,” Dames said during his contribution to the 2019/2020 budget debate.
“After the evaluation process, Cabinet approved Multimedia Technology, a noted Bahamian company and a leader in the field, who had been working along with the Royal Bahamas Police Force for approximately six years in developing a software that will meet its needs.
“The contract is presently being finalized and we expect to sign in a few weeks.”
The introduction of the alert, which was named after 11-year-old Marco Archer who was murdered in 2011, has been delayed several times.
The day Archer disappeared, authorities told his relatives they had to wait 24 hours before investigating, according to former Minister of National Security, the late Dr. Bernard Nottage.
Education: Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish
Latest posts by Rachel Knowles (see all)
- Union unmoved by Morton’s lockout threat - June 20, 2019
- BNU leadership did not capitalizeon certain issues, former leader says - June 20, 2019
- Morton Bahamas threatens employee lockout - June 19, 2019