Monday, Jun 24, 2019
Homenewsletter-sportsJohnson going after NABF title

Johnson going after NABF title

It is no doubt that former Olympian Tureano Johnson is one of the toughest professional Bahamian fighters and he will prove that once more when he heads to Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California, to square off against the undefeated Irishman Jason Quigley on Thursday, July 18.

Quigley will be defending his North American Boxing Federation (NABF) middleweight belt against Johnson in a ten-round main event bout.

Johnson sports a 20-2-1 win/loss/draw record and has no fear against Quigley’s perfect 16-0 record. Fourteen of Johnson’s wins came by way of knockout and 12 of Quigley’s wins were by knockout.

In his last fight, he drew against Mexican Fernando Castaneda earlier this year after Johnson was set to fight David Lemieux last year December, but Lemieux withdrew on the day of the bout.

“Having had more experience than Quigley does gives me a bit of an edge, no doubt he is a good and undefeated fighter. That said, we’ve studied him and we’ve noticed his flaw and with my experience we plan to expose them even more,” Johnson said.

That experience he is talking about is both in age and ring experience. Johnson is 35-years-old with 23 bouts under his name. Quigley is 27-years-old and has less ring time, fighting 16 times.

The tough-looking Johnson is fighting under the Golden Boys Promotions banner that was started by Oscar De La Hoya, former multiple world titles holder.

Training is going great for the Bahamian. He is training in both Atlanta, Georgia and New York. He and his team are wrapping up their strength and conditioning sessions and are about to transition to sprints and techniques. They are also moving away from heavy weights to training, using lighter weights with a lot of speed and power.

Quigley is 6’1” and has a height advantage over the 5’10” Johnson. However, Johnson has a reach of 73 1/2” compared to his opponent’s 71 1/2” reach.

The heavy-hitting Johnson had shoulder surgery back in 2015 after defeating Eamonn O’Kane in a unanimous decision. He was on the shelf for 12 months. He feels better now.

“I had injuries that has hampered my progress to become a world champion; as of right now, I’m feeling better. Thank God for the help and assistance of my Doctors Sundeep Goud and Valentine Grimes. They’ve done great work on my surgery. It was in February of this year that I have last fought, unfortunate for me, I didn’t win and ironically, I didn’t lose neither. The fight was called a draw despite me feeling as if I had done enough to win,” Johnson said.

Johnson feels this is a good fight for him and he is hungrier.

“This fight with Quigley is a very good fight for me. Though he is the champion and I’m the contender, I’m even more eager and hungrier to not just get a win, but look impressive winning and getting back to the top where I should be. Unfortunately for him, I’m a different animal,” Johnson said.

The 5’10” boxer continued; “What we have planned for this fight is not just one dimension and not just focusing on him, but more on my flaws. We are fighting for the NABF title, that said, there’s a driving force in me that just won’t let up. We are on a none-distraction with total destruction intention mode. I don’t just want this fight, I need this win. We are preparing as if we are fighting for a world title against the Hulk.”

For the resilient fighter, he refused to let “Father Time” get him now.

He said; “I’ve been fighting for a very long time, and the question is, how much more do I have in the tank? Let’s just say, Tureano Johnson is only getting younger. Even though, I do have other dreams and aspiration, they will have to wait another two to three years.”

Johnson looked back at his amateur career and how it has shaped him as a professional.

“My move to professional was one that many Bahamians have not had the opportunity to do. Mine was quite simple and easy. The Olympics, the Central America and Caribbean (CAC) Games and all of my amateur time has done great for me. From being exposed to the world by training in Cuba for many years, and the foundation and the beginnings of boxing for me started home as a kid with Ray Minus Sr. and Renaldo Minus. Also transitioning from the Golden Gates Eagles to Champion Amateur Boxing by Ray Minus Jr. and Andre Seymour of the Bahamas Amateur Boxing Federation,” Johnson reminisced.

He is very grateful for Erwin and Ikeanna Johnson, his parents, who not only supported his dreams in boxing but also nurtured him into a good Bahamian citizen and a God-fearing man.

He went on to thank Apostle Phalmon Ferguson and the United Faith Ministries Church family; Aquapure; Food Kingdom; K.S Moses; the Ministry of Tourism of The Bahamas; family and friends; and the entire Bahamas at large for their prayers and continued support.

The fight will be streamed live on Facebook Watch via the Golden Boy Fight Night Page beginning at 10.00 p.m. here in The Bahamas and 7.00 p.m. in California.

Simba French

Sports Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Simba joined The Nassau Guardian in 2012 as a technical producer for Guardian Radio 96.9 FM. He joined the Editorial Department as a sports reporter in 2018. Simba has covered a wide range of sports stories, including the 2018 CARIFTA in Nassau, Bahamas.
Education: College of the Bahamas, BA Media Journalism

Latest posts by Simba French (see all)

FOLLOW US ON:
Kaitlyn Williams sco
Sports stalwart ‘S