Bodies of Bahamians found dead in Italy to return home
The bodies of the two Bahamians who were found dead in Italy are expected to be transported to The Bahamas by the end of the week, according to the mother of one of the victims.
When asked what will be the next step, Cathleen Rahming, the mother of Blair John, said, “No comment at this time. I am not feeling well as reality hits home. This is difficult.”
The body of Bahamian diplomat Alrae Ramsey, 29, was pulled from the Po River, in Turin, Italy, on June 4.
One day later, John, 28, was found in the same body of water.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Darren Henfield said yesterday the government is currently in the process of trying to obtain the death certificates for the two men.
He also said the government has not yet received the results of the autopsies conducted by the Italian authorities.
According to Italian media reports, the first findings of the autopsy revealed that the men were drunk when they died from drowning.
Last week, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis expressed confidence in the Italian authorities’ ability to investigate the deaths of the men.
Minnis said, “They’ve been investigating deaths and people for umpteenth years before I was on this Earth, so why should I not have confidence in them today? The Italian people have confidence in them. It’s something they’ve always done. They’re a sovereign nation and we must respect their laws and their procedures.”
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
Latest posts by Jasper Ward (see all)
- Gunman robs Rubis station - November 19, 2019
- PM says local marijuana commission report will likely be similar to CARICOM’s - November 19, 2019
- Inagua fishermen claim they were robbed at knifepoint by Haitians - November 18, 2019