A man was killed in a drive-by shooting shortly before 3 p.m. in the Coconut Grove area, police said.
According to reports, the man was standing on the corner of Ragged Island Street and Andros Avenue when the occupants of a gray or silver vehicle pulled up and opened fire in his direction.
Police said the man attempted to run away, but was chased down a short distance, where he was shot and collapsed.
The victim is known to police, officers confirmed at the scene.
The Guardian understands that the victim is Ilano Noel.
Noel was reportedly recently released from prison and had two pending drug cases against him.
A woman on the scene, believed to be Noel’s mother, was visibly distraught and had to be physically removed off the scene as she cried and screamed.
She could be heard shouting, “The first time I see my son since he come out of jail was yesterday.”
Asked whether the incident is gang-related or connected to the recent killings off Prince Charles Drive or the mass shooting in Montell Heights, Superintendent Shanta Knowles, police press liaison officer, said, “We are working this case in isolation.
“At this time we cannot say that it is connected to any of the recent matters but we will continue to investigate and should that information become available we will definitely release it.”
While at the scene, police indicated that a five-year-old child may have been knocked down by the getaway vehicle.
However, police said they could not locate the child at any medical facility up to last night.
Following a mass shooting in Montell Heights early Sunday morning, Commissioner of Police Anthony Ferguson attempted to quell the fears of residents by reassuring them that the incident was isolated.
“I wish to advise you that you can move about in your normal daily business,” he said.
“This is not a situation where persons are going around shooting anybody.”
Knowles maintained the commissioner’s sentiments.
“We don’t want the public to feel afraid or held hostage in their homes because of incidents that are occurring,” she said.
“We have manpower on the streets. Our operations have not ceased. In fact, we had officers nearby when this incident occurred. However, they were not close enough to apprehend those who were responsible. We are confident to know that our teams of officers are on the streets and are working.”
Police made their usual appeals to the public for information on the matter.
The latest incident marks the 46th murder in the country so far for the year.
Education: Vrije Universiteit Brussel (University of Brussels), MA in Mass Communications