Hurricane Dorian’s death toll rose to 50 yesterday, according to Commissioner of Police Anthony Ferguson.
Ferguson said the death toll is expected to increase.
“As of Sunday, September 8, 2019, officers have located and recovered 50 deceased persons from the hurricane-affected areas – 42 from the island of Abaco and 8 from Grand Bahama,” Ferguson said in a statement.
“We anticipate the discovery of more deceased persons, as the process of search and recovery progresses.
“As there are many more persons presumed missing, since they have not been seen or heard from since the passage of Hurricane Dorian, we are appealing to family members to file missing persons reports with the police.
“We offer sincere condolences to those families who had loved ones die during the hurricane. Please know that every effort is being made by Royal Bahamas Police Force along with our local and international law enforcement partners to bring relief and closure for everyone.”
Dorian slammed into Abaco and Grand Bahama early last week with category five winds and storm surges that nearly wiped out entire communities.
In the days since, the government has faced questions over the death toll, with many reporting far more deaths than has been indicated by official numbers.
People have also questioned why, days after the storm’s passing, there were still exposed and uncollected bodies in The Mudd shantytown in Marsh Harbour, Abaco.
Government officials say the search and recovery efforts are still ongoing.
Education: Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish
Latest posts by Rachel Knowles (see all)
- ‘Bahamas in a climate crisis’ - September 21, 2019
- Officials say three of the 44 bodies recovered on Abaco are from The Mudd - September 21, 2019
- Govt will amend mandatory evacuation bill - September 21, 2019