Monday, Sep 23, 2019
HomeHome2,500 still registered as missing after storm

2,500 still registered as missing after storm

In this file photo, the U.S Coast Guard takes off to rescue survivors from Abaco. TONYA ALEXIS

Roughly 2,500 people are registered as missing in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, according to National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Spokesperson Carl Smith.

However, Smith said the government’s list has not been checked against the lists of evacuees and people staying in shelters on New Providence.

“The Department of Social Services is the agency managing the government’s register of missing people,” Smith said at a press conference.

“This list is compiled based on reports of who is missing. You can register a missing person by calling the missing persons hotline. The numbers are listed on NEMA’s Facebook page. Individuals can also visit the Department of Rehabilitative/Welfare Services on University Boulevard.

“At this point, there are approximately 2,500 individuals registered on the Bahamian government register. This list has not yet been checked against government records of who is staying in shelters or who have been evacuated. The database processing is underway.

“Some individuals who evacuated from Abaco and Grand Bahama have not yet registered with social services. We encourage them to do so at the Department of Rehabilitative/Welfare Services.

“Some of the government’s lists will have to be converted into a digital format to allow for more effective cross-checking. As we are able to cross reference our data sets, we will be able to inform family members and reunite survivors with loved ones.”

In the meantime, he said, “At the shelters, we are facilitating individuals who are able to reach out directly to family and friends to let them know where they are.

“We will provide regular updates to the public on how the missing persons register is being managed. At this time, we have no further information to provide.”

More than 2,000 people are being housed in shelters across New Providence.

At least 50 people were killed as a result of Hurricane Dorian, but officials expect the final death toll to be “staggering”.

Former Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham said yesterday that based on information he has, hundreds of people were killed on Abaco.

Dorian devastated parts of Abaco and Grand Bahama last week.

Rachel Knowles

Staff Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Rachel joined The Nassau Guardian in January 2019. Rachel covers national issues.
Education: Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish
FOLLOW US ON:
RBDF chief: We’re
‘We will shred the