Saturday, Nov 16, 2019
HomeHomeTeam from Ministry of Public Works to begin assessment on Grand Bahama

Team from Ministry of Public Works to begin assessment on Grand Bahama

An assessment of the damage in Grand Bahama due to Hurricane Dorian has begun, according to Director of Public Works Melanie Roach yesterday.

The slow-moving Category 5 storm battered the island earlier this month, leaving many residents homeless in a matter of days.

A team of 12 people, consisting of engineers, architects and inspectors hit the ground to assess government buildings, sea walls, roads, and residential properties for one week, Roach said.

A minimum of 12 new individuals will head to that island every week for one month to continue assessments, she said.

The ministry intends to report its findings to the National

Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) at the end of the assessment.

Deputy Prime Minister Peter Turnquest, the MP for East Grand Bahama, said his constituency continues to make progress in recovery efforts.

East Grand Bahama felt the brunt of Hurricane Dorian’s 185 miles per hour winds and up to 20 feet of storm surge.

“The people of East Grand Bahama are resilient, and have begun the process of putting their lives together as much as possible,” said Mr. Turnquest.

Like many others, members of his constituency have lost homes and loved ones.

Following the storm, the government indicated that relief efforts were hindered in East Grand Bahama due to impassable roads.

Dorian’s strong winds, heavy downpours and massive storm surge uprooted roads leading into East Grand Bahama, forcing volunteer groups like World Central Kitchen to use an amphibious vehicle to provide residents with food.

The deputy prime minister also indicated that he and his team are busy sourcing building materials to help put his constituents back into their homes.

It is a significant undertaking, he said, but it is one that he is committed to achieving.

FOLLOW US ON:
Bahamian U.S. milita
Man and woman beaten