The tent cities on Abaco and Grand Bahama intended to house those displaced in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian should be ready in about a month, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis said yesterday.
“I’ve been informed that they should be completed in three to four weeks; that individuals would be returned to their respective land,” Dr. Minnis said at a press conference.
Asked how the tents would work with respect to the ongoing hurricane season, the prime minister said, “Pray to God.”
He said the Ministry of Disaster Preparedness, Management and Reconstruction will oversee the establishment of the tent cities.
It is unclear exactly where the tent cities will be located and how many people they will be able to accommodate.
Last week, Minnis said the tents will include basic facilities.
“We must also have what you call a tent city. It’s not like the standard tent that you would be familiar with, but a tent city would have bathroom facilities,” he said at the time.
“Each unit would have two-bedroom facilities and you have recreational facilities. You have facilities for police and you have dining facilities and cafeteria facilities; so it’s really a city.”
Hundreds remain in shelters on New Providence.
More than 1,300 people remain missing in the aftermath of the storm.
The death toll stands at at least 53.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
Latest posts by Jasper Ward (see all)
- ‘Pay higher BPL bills or expect higher taxes’ - November 15, 2019
- Public Disclosure Commission years behind in compiling financial disclosures - November 15, 2019
- Cooper blasts BPL - November 14, 2019