Tuesday, Nov 19, 2019
HomeBusinessBaha Mar loses millions in aftermath of Dorian

Baha Mar loses millions in aftermath of Dorian

Baha Mar President Graeme Davis addresses the media following a heads of agreement signing at the Churchill Building yesterday. AHVIA J. CAMPBELL

Baha Mar lost $10 million in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, as bookings were lost and year-on-year numbers began to flop.

Baha Mar President Graeme Davis, who was speaking yesterday during a contract signing ceremony at the Cabinet Office for Baha Mar’s new water park and hotel upgrades, explained that the fallout from Dorian has been more “temporary than permanent” and noted that September and October bookings took a hit compared to last year in the immediate aftermath of the storm.

Davis explained that lost revenue from unsold rooms and food and beverage is at $10 million, however, he said the resort is starting to see that gap close and is looking at next year to recover booking numbers.

“We hope that Dorian will be a past memory in the travelers’ minds,” Davis said. “We’re very optimistic that we’ll have a bright season ahead in 2020.”

Another player in the tourism sector which recorded losses as a result of Hurricane Dorian was Bahamasair, which posted $2 million in losses, including a hefty cost for moving evacuees. Minister of Tourism and Aviation Dionisio D’Aguilar in his contribution to the debate in the House of Assembly yesterday, explained that Bahamasair incurred costs of $348,000 to transport 3,080 people from the hurricane ravaged islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama on 38 flights.

“When one factors in the lost revenue from canceled flights, especially over the Labour Day holiday, which we all know to be a heavy travel period, I am advised that the losses sustained by Bahamasair because of the passing of Hurricane Dorian quickly spiral above the $2 million mark,” D’Aguilar said.

He explained that 13 flights from Treasure Cay evacuated 765 passengers,13 flights from Marsh Harbour evacuated 1,065 passengers and 12 flights from Freeport evacuated 1,250 passengers to Nassau.

Chester Robards

Senior Business Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Chester Robards rejoined The Nassau Guardian in November 2017 as a senior business reporter. He has covered myriad topics and events for The Nassau Guardian.
Education: Florida International University, BS in Journalism
FOLLOW US ON:
Cooper: Govt should
Wildcats go up 2-0,