Decade-old sexual abuse case gets trial date
A man accused of the sexual abuse of a minor hasn’t been tried almost a decade after the offense.
Reginald Sweeting, 59, appeared before Justice Bernard Turner for pretrial review.
He is accused of having unlawful sexual intercourse with a girl, 10, on January 21, 2010.
Turner expressed concern over the lengthy delay in the case and observed that the alleged victim is now 20 years old.
Sweeting’s lawyer, Davis Cash, said that several trial dates had been missed for various reasons.
The matter has been adjourned until April 19, 2021 for trial.
Latest posts by Artesia Davis (see all)
- Two appeal retaliation shooting verdict - December 11, 2019
- Appeals court says serious nature of offense not a basis for denial of bail - December 10, 2019
- Plea deal reached in robbery attempt - December 10, 2019