39 Haitians apprehended off Inagua
Thirty-nine Haitians were apprehended on an isolated cay off the southeastern coast of Great Inagua on Saturday, according to the Royal Bahamas Defence Force (RBDF).
This was the result of a joint maritime operation involving the RBDF, police force, Operation Bahamas Turks and Caicos Islands (OPBAT), and the United States Coast Guard (USCG).
The group — which includes 26 males and 13 females — was spotted last week, however rocky terrain complicated efforts, and a U.S. helicopter was dispatched to assist in removing the migrants, the RBDF said in a press release.
The migrants were eventually removed from the cay and turned over to immigration officials in Inagua for further processing.
This is the second group of migrants to be caught in Bahamian waters within the past month.
On November 8, 58 undocumented Haitian migrants were apprehended near Deadman’s Cay, Long Island, aboard a 40-foot sloop, authorities said.
They have since been charged before the courts and repatriated.
The Kelvin Hughes long range coastal radar installed at the RBDF Base in Inagua has proven to be effective in the fight against illicit activities, the RBDF said.
There has also been an increased maritime presence by RBDF assets with the support from the USCG aerial reconnaissance.