Thursday, Jan 23, 2020
HomeHome‘I go by the facts’

‘I go by the facts’

Dr. Hubert Minnis.

Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis yesterday dismissed a call from Health Minister Dr. Duane Sands for the government to declare that more than 200 people died during Hurricane Dorian.

“I go by the facts,” Minnis told reporters.

“The facts are that there are 70 deaths. That’s the facts. I don’t care what is said. That’s the facts.”

Last week, Sands said the government will have to make a multi-ministerial decision to confirm the death toll for the Category 5 storm — the strongest in Bahamian history.

“At some point, the government of The Bahamas will have to declare that over 200 people have died in Hurricane Dorian but I cannot officially say that as that is a multi-ministerial decision,” Sands told The Tribune.

“We have to do our due diligence and meet to decide. We want to move all of the outstanding matters to an agreed consensus or conclusion. We want to bring some closure. Again, we have not walked this road before.”

Dorian destroyed chunks of Abaco and Grand Bahama in early September.

The storm impacted nearly 30,000 people and left thousands displaced.

Dorian killed at least 60 people on Abaco and 10 on Grand Bahama.

It has been nearly three months since a total count of those missing post-Dorian has been provided by authorities.

At last report, the number of missing stood at 282, according to National Security Minister Marvin Dames; 252 of those being from Abaco.

Jasper Ward

Staff Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Jasper Ward started at The Nassau Guardian in September 2018. Ward covers a wide range of national and social issues.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
FOLLOW US ON:
Four charged in conn
PM ‘very disturbed