Thursday, Apr 2, 2020
HomeHomeBrennen urges consideration of broad shutdown of services

Brennen urges consideration of broad shutdown of services

Dr. Delon Brennen.

The Bahamas needs to take a “hard stance” in order to contain the spread of COVID-19 locally, including shutting down some non-essential services in the country, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr. Delon Brennen said yesterday.

“Only essential services are going to need to be in place because that is how you can halt progression or at least slow it significantly,” Brennen said on the Guardian Radio show “Morning Blend” with Dwight Strachan.

He added, “I’m not trying to knock on anyone’s business. I just think we have to take this seriously from a global perspective. When we see people who have done it well, they have shut it all down and said, ‘this is for this period’.”

Brennen said church services are among those that should be discontinued.

“If you’re going to take a hard stance, you’re gonna have to say we discourage people from attending those types of services,” Brennen said.

“So when we get calls from the Ministry of Health, we say, ‘We would strongly discourage you.’

“And they say, ‘Should I do this?’ And we say, ‘No, don’t go to church services’.”

While he said he is not trying to hurt businesses, Brennan noted that it is incumbent on Bahamians to practice social distancing across the board.

“If you know we have it in country and you know we have community spread, why would you continue to put yourself at risk?” he asked.

“If you miss the movies for 30 days, you will be okay. If you have to walk somewhere for 30 days, you will be healthier.

“These are the things that we have to take seriously if we are going to halt the passage of this within our society.”

He added that he personally thinks restaurants should close or reconsider the way it does business.

Some countries made the decision to close their borders or restrict in country movement in order to contain the spread of COVID-19 internally.

Other countries, like Italy, have waived taxes as well as halted the payment of mortgages and loans as a result of COVID-19, which was declared a pandemic last week.

Yesterday, Brennen said The Bahamas still has an opportunity to learn from some of the countries that are doing well.

“If we can say this is how we are going to do it, we are really going to take this social distancing thing seriously — that’s how we can continue to lead,” Brennen said.

“I absolutely think we can do more and when I say restaurants should shut down, it’s our approach to how we currently do it. Do I think we should do dine in? No. Do I think you should be able to order food from a restaurant, show up, pick up your food and go? Absolutely.

“So I don’t think the people are going to lose totally by shutting down their entire business. I think how we go about doing business should be different.”

He said employers should allow employees to work from home, where possible.

The first confirmed case of COVID-19 in The Bahamas was announced on Sunday at a press conference at the Ministry of Health, where it was revealed that the patient has no recent travel history.

Brennen said officials have yet to determine how the patient, a 61-year-old resident of New Providence, contracted the virus.

The virus, which can cause pneumonia, originated in Wuhan, China, late last year.

Since then, it has spread to all continents except Antarctica.

As of yesterday, there were nearly 190,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally, according to the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center.

At least 7,400 people have died from the virus.

Jasper Ward

Staff Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Jasper Ward started at The Nassau Guardian in September 2018. Ward covers a wide range of national and social issues.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
FOLLOW US ON:
Business trickles do
State of emergency