Wednesday, Apr 1, 2020
HomeNewsCarnival says GB port commitment still firm

Carnival says GB port commitment still firm

A Carnival executive said the company’s commitment to its nearly $200 million cruise port on Grand Bahama “has not changed” in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We are still working with all the relevant government agencies and Grand Bahama Port Authority on securing the required licenses and permits for the project and that has not changed,” David Candib, Carnival’s vice president for development and operations, told The Nassau Guardian.

In February 2019, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis announced the development of the port on Grand Bahama.

Six months later, the prime minister announced that the deal had been completed. An agreement between Carnival and the government was signed in September.

As it stands, according to Candib, between 400,000 and 500,000 people currently visit Grand Bahama annually.

Carnival anticipates that figure will grow to roughly one million following the completion of the port.

It will lead to 1,000 jobs during construction and between 500 and 1,000 jobs post-construction, officials said.

Construction is expected to start by summer of this year.

The port will feature a waterway for guests to use as transportation around the site.

In February, Candib said port licenses would be completed by late-spring.

It is unclear whether that deadline will be met amid a worsening COVID-19 global crisis.

Jasper Ward

Staff Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Jasper Ward started at The Nassau Guardian in September 2018. Ward covers a wide range of national and social issues.
Education: Goldsmith, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice
FOLLOW US ON:
Olympics still on ra
Speaker considering