The latest COVID-19 case, who was a contact of a previously confirmed case, had to be tracked down by armed forces after he disappeared when he was supposed to be in quarantine, Dr. Merceline Dahl-Regis, health advisor to the Office of the Prime Minister, said yesterday.
At a Ministry of Health press conference, Dahl-Regis was asked by a reporter whether health officials can speak to the latest case being connected to Sandilands Rehabilitation Centre.
“Health yesterday received information concerning a new positive,” she said.
“And this person was known to health in that he is a contact of a family member. Contact tracing was initially challenged, admittedly, because he went back to work and then disappeared.
“And surveillance was assisted by the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, the Royal Bahamas Police Force and the Emergency Medical Services. And this is not the first case we’ve had at that institution.”
Dahl-Regis said contact tracing is being conducted, and that there is no need for fear among the public.
“I am pleased to report to you that he is in a mandated government quarantine facility,” she said.
“We will continue our contact tracing at his place of work. And it is going to be challenging, but we are up to it.”
She added, “There is no need for fear. The surveillance team is well-equipped to handle this.”
Dahl-Regis also noted that between 13 and 15 people who had been in quarantine cannot be located. She said health officials have their names, but not their phone contacts.
“That has been the challenge,” she said.
“And it still hovers between 13 and 15.”
Dahl-Regis said health officials are hoping an app to better monitor those in quarantine will go live on Monday following training sessions with staff.
There have been 97 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in The Bahamas.
Eleven people have died and 44 have recovered so far.