Monday, Jul 13, 2020
HomeNewsBPL says work in Sweetings Village delayed

BPL says work in Sweetings Village delayed

Destruction on Abaco in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian in September 2019. FILE

Although Bahamas Power and Light (BPL) said last week that electricity had been restored to Sweetings Village, Abaco, in a statement released yesterday, the power company announced a delay in the works in the area.

“We wish to advise that the completion of works in Sweetings Village has been delayed as we await the arrival of the final components for this area,” it said in a statement.

“Regrettably, these were delayed shipping out of New Providence. The equipment should arrive in Abaco by Wednesday, June 3 and be installed by Saturday, June 6.

“Customers in this area should also be making final preparations and application to the Ministry of Works for necessary inspections.”

Despite the Disaster Reconstruction Authority saying in February that power would be fully restored to all of Abaco by May, some parts of the island are still without electricity nine months after the island was devastated by Hurricane Dorian.

BPL’s statement yesterday, however, provided a timeline for when power restoration will begin in other areas.

“Treasure Cay will be restored in sections commencing with parts of the northern end (Ocean Boulevard, Madeira Park, Dommy Villa [and] Buckingham Beach), starting June 11,” it read.

BPL also noted that the restoration of Murphy Town/Forest Drive, from Ben Curry Drive to CMI church, will begin on June 12. The restoration of Pelican Shores is also slated to begin on June 12.

According to the power company, electricity restoration on Murphy Town Boulevard, from Forest Drive Way to Zion Baptist Church, is expected to start on June 21. The restoration of the southern end of Treasure Cay will begin on June 23.

In Little Orchard, the completion of HV works and energization is slated for August 3.

BPL said temporary generating sites on Man-O-War Cay are expected to be brought online on June 6.

It said teams are also preparing to begin the installation of temporary generation on Guana Cay, but it is still awaiting the arrival of equipment to replace the sub-sea cables from Marsh Harbour to Matt Lowes Cay and from Matt Lowes Cay to Man-O-War Cay.

No specific timeline was confirmed for when those works will begin or be completed.

Minister of Public Works Desmond Bannister told reporters in April that he could not give a timeline for the full restoration of power to Abaco, as he suggested that BPL is challenged with a shortage of trained staff to carry out necessary restorations on the island.

Staff Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Rachel joined The Nassau Guardian in January 2019. Rachel covers national issues.
Education: Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish
Latest posts by Rachel Scott (see all)
FOLLOW US ON:
UB supports U.S. pro
Police force gives b