Monday, Aug 3, 2020
HomeBusinessMinistry of Tourism, cruise sector preparing tour operators as they reopen

Ministry of Tourism, cruise sector preparing tour operators as they reopen

Joy Jibrilu.

The Ministry of Tourism and Aviation (MOTA) and the cruise sector are set to prepare tour operators – who are allowed to reopen their businesses today – to run their operations amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

The MOTA noted in a press statement that a webinar, which will be held tomorrow, will apprise tour operators of Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA) updates; local industry updates; small business matters and how to go about digital marketing amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Cruise and Maritime Department at the MOTA is hosting the webinar under the theme “Exploring Opportunities Beyond COVID-19”. The webinar will be held via Microsoft Teams on July 14, 21, 23 and 28, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Director General of Tourism Joy Jibrilu said in the MOTA statement that the country is in “uncharted territory” because of COVID-19, which has caused cruise lines to push their restart dates further and further back.

“It is not business as usual and that’s why I encourage people to register to hear how business will be conducted with visitors going forward,” said Jibrilu.

According to the MOTA statement, tour operators will hear from Deputy Director General of Tourism Ellison ‘Tommy’ Thompson; Atlantis’ Vice President of Operations and Bahamas Hotel Tourism Association President Carlton Russell; Nassau Cruise Port Chief Executive Officer Mike Maura; Small Business Development Centre Managing Director Davinia Grant; Executive Director of the Tourism Development Corporation Janet Johnson; MOTA Director of Digital Media Andre Miller; and MOTA Executive Director of Product Quality and Support Kenneth Romer.

Though the country opened up to tourism at the beginning of the month, tour operators were not allowed to begin offering services.

Last month Carnival Cruise Line advised its guests in a statement that it extended its sailing suspension in North America through Sept 30.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited revealed it would suspend cruising through September 15.

Senior Business Reporter at The Nassau Guardian
Chester Robards rejoined The Nassau Guardian in November 2017 as a senior business reporter. He has covered myriad topics and events for The Nassau Guardian.
Education: Florida International University, BS in Journalism
FOLLOW US ON:
DPM: Public debt man
Trading of Bahamas g