According to Bahamasair Chairman Tommy Turnquest, a total of 68 passengers flew into New Providence on a Bahamasair flight yesterday as the government resumed its repatriation flights for Bahamians and residents who were stuck abroad after the government closed the country’s borders in late March.
Turnquest told The Nassau Guardian that the flight, which landed shortly after 5 p.m., was carrying 65 adults and three infants.
Another flight is scheduled for Saturday, and is set to first land on Grand Bahama before continuing onto New Providence.
The first pair of repatriation flights took place two weeks ago, on May 8.
However, the repatriation exercise was suspended only days later after it was revealed that a Grand Bahama man on one of the flights had previously tested positive for COVID-19.
Health officials later said the man tested negative and did not pose a threat to other passengers.
Hundreds of Bahamians remain abroad and trying to return home.
Turnquest previously said that Bahamasair has sufficient demand for additional repatriation flights in the future, but that the airline must be guided by the Ministry of Health as the government-designated quarantine facility has a limited capacity.
During a Ministry of Health press conference yesterday, however, Dr. Merceline Dahl-Regis, health consultant in the Office of the Prime Minister, said that the government has identified another quarantine facility in the event that the current one exceeds capacity.