The Disaster Reconstruction Authority (DRA) is investigating an “unacceptable” incident in which a dome was used as a restaurant on Abaco, according to DRA Managing Director Katherine Forbes-Smith.
“The DRA continues its efforts through the Small Home Repair Programme, its relationship with NGOs also providing assistance to homeowners and our temporary housing program to assist persons affected as a result of Hurricane Dorian,” Forbes-Smith said in a statement.
“The recent photographs circulating on social media of a dome recipient in Abaco attempting to use a dome for commercial purposes is totally unacceptable. Every homeowner was given a set of rules, which had to be signed prior to taking possession of the temporary structure.
“Those rules addressed how residents are expected to conduct themselves. It is very sad that one would attempt to use a dome for commercial purposes, which is not just wrong but insensitive to other homeowners in need of temporary housing.
“Further, these structures are intended for temporary living hence any commercial venture would pose a safety issue.”
She said the authority plans to “remedy this situation immediately”.
The DRA has amended the occupancy rules for the domes as a result of the incident.
It added that “no temporary residential structure can be used for commercial purposes”.
In the immediate aftermath of Dorian – the most powerful storm on record, which left thousands homeless on Abaco and Grand Bahama in early September – Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis announced that the government would erect domes as temporary housing for Abaco storm victims.
On March 5, Brickell Management contractor Phil Robinson said 32 of the domes had been completed.
The government handed keys to the facilities over to 32 Abaconians last month.