The Ministry of Health’s dashboard yesterday reflected an additional COVID-19 death, but no details were given.
It came two days after health authorities said they were investigating to determine whether “three or four” recent deaths were the result of COVID-19.
“The difficulty is getting all the information to be able to determine whether or not a case that was not outright COVID-19 actually fits within that – you know, on the death certificate if COVID-19 will be the major cause that contributed to that death,” said Dr. Pearl McMillan, chief medical officer, at a Ministry of Health press conference.
“On Grand Bahama, I think Dr. [Frank] Bartlett would have alluded to three cases that we would have had to review in that way. Those were reviewed and they became added to the deaths.
“Now, we have, certainly I’m aware of at least three additional ones that are under investigation now, but we will continue to move forward.
“As those deaths occur, we will go through the necessary process of having a small committee review all of the contributing factors and then we will be able to say concretely or not whether it was a COVID-19 death or a COVID-19 associated death.”
So far, The Bahamas has recorded 14 COVID-19 deaths.
The last three were reported on July 30. They were the first COVID-19 deaths since April.
“We continue to pray for minimal loss of life, but we have lost 14 souls to COVID-19 thus far, three during this surge,” Minister of Health Renward Wells said on Friday.
“With increasing hospitalizations, the country must brace itself to experience more deaths from COVID-19. Causes of deaths must be and have been verified by autopsy.”