HomeNews

Another migrant in human smuggling
tragedy identified, official says

Public Hospitals Authority Managing Director Aubynette Rolle said another victim of last month’s tragedy at sea was identified yesterday.

So far, six of 17 victims of the incident have been officially identified. A one-year-old girl and a 13-year-old girl were among those identified, Rolle previously said.

The bodies of the victims are being housed at Princess Margaret Hospital’s morgue.

Forty-five people were on board a 33-foot, twin-engine vessel – which authorities said was headed to either Freeport, Grand Bahama, or Florida – when it capsized four to five nautical miles from the entrance of Nassau Harbour shortly after 1 a.m. on July 24.

Seventeen people – all believed to be Haitian – died as result.

Twenty-five people, including two Bahamian men, were among the survivors rescued from waters off New Providence.

Last week, four men were charged with 18 counts of manslaughter in connection with the tragedy.

The 18th count was for manslaughter of an unborn child because one of the 17 victims was pregnant.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker