News

Bahamian boaters found safe

Three Bahamians who went missing in waters off the Florida Keys last week were found and confirmed safe on Saturday, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

The men were identified last week as Gralin Moxey, Jason Cooper and Trevor Adderley.

Family members said they were on their way from Sugarloaf Cay in Florida to Chub Cay on a 21-foot center-console boat when they encountered stormy weather.

Operation Bahamas, Turks and Caicos (OPBAT) officials confirmed on Saturday that the boaters had safely arrived in The Bahamas.

“The coast guard ended its search for three overdue boaters aboard a 21-foot white cabin cruiser who were on their way from Sugarloaf Key, Florida to Nassau, Bahamas after they reported that they were safe and reached The Bahamas on Saturday,” the U.S. Coast Guard said in a statement.

It added, “The boaters reported that their vessel became disabled approximately five miles north of Andros and a good Samaritan towed them to Red Bays.

“The coast guard searched 21,726 square nautical miles for 90 hours.”

The U.S. Coast Guard urged boaters to take precautions when going out to sea, particularly for longer journeys.

“A VHF-radio, extra food and water, life jackets and flares are just a few of the things that can keep you prepared while you’re out on the water,” it said.

“Filing a float plan is also key before you head out. It’s as easy as telling family and friends where you’re going to, coming from and for how long so they have all the important information if they need to make the call for help.”

Show More

Rachel Knowles

Rachel joined The Nassau Guardian in January 2019. Rachel covers national issues. Education: University of Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker