Sports

‘Blast from the Past’ postponed

Ferguson hopeful event held no later than February

The plans were in motion and the boxers were ready as the highly-anticipated ‘Blast from the Past’ Boxing Show was set to be held on Saturday, January 22 at the Baha Mar Convention Center. Instead, the event has been postponed because of the rise in COVID-19 cases in The Bahamas, particularly here in New Providence.

Promoter of the event Whitney Ferguson, of HWF Entertainment, said that a new date will be announced later, but he is hoping it is postponed no later than late February.

“We are hoping to put it on at the ending part of February, but it all depends on the Ministry of Health since they approve events. The number of cases in The Bahamas has risen so for us to give a definite date like next month, until we get a handle on the COVID cases, is something we can’t determine right now,” Ferguson said.

Looking to rejuvenate boxing in The Bahamas, it was set to be a three-fight night event and the featured bout was to be retired Bahamian boxing legend Meacher “Major Pain” Major going up against Jamaican Martin Anderson in an exhibition lightweight match. Bahamian Tyrone Oliver was set to get in the ring against Jamaican Daron Weir in a welterweight bout, and the third bout of the evening was to be a heavyweight bout, pitting Bahamian Leon Bain against Haitian Ducas Delian.

Ferguson said that he has been in contact with the fighters from the Caribbean and they understand the situation as they are going through positive cases in their countries also.

It has been tough for Ferguson, who over the past two years, has been trying to stage the event.

“For two years now, we have been trying to put on a boxing event,” Ferguson said. “Every time we set a date and get ready to go, something happens. The first time was in 2019 when Hurricane Dorian came and when that cleared up, the first case of COVID-19 came in March 2020. We had a good opening last year and thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was going to calm down but we had to postpone this one again. We are a little disappointed but I rather postpone it to keep everybody safe. Once it opens back up, we are going to have a bigger and better event.”

The boxers are not upset as the event is only postponed and not canceled, said Ferguson.

“The postponement gives them more time to train,” Ferguson said. “All of the fighters are not discouraged. They are happy because they got some more time to train. They are still looking forward to the event taking place. It is just a postponement. They are looking forward to us putting on the show.”

The COVID-19 cases in The Bahamas have been in the triple digits for the past few days. Ferguson is hopeful that the numbers will go down in short order.

Show More

Simba French

Simba joined The Nassau Guardian in 2012 as a technical producer for Guardian Radio 96.9 FM. He joined the Editorial Department as a sports reporter in 2018. Simba has covered a wide range of sports stories, including the 2018 CARIFTA in Nassau, Bahamas. Education: College of the Bahamas, BA Media Journalism

Related Articles

Check Also
Close
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker