While Minister of Public Works Desmond Bannister said that Bahamas Power and Light (BPL) is not engaged in any disconnection exercise, the company said last night that up to October 23, it has disconnected over 3,000 customers.
“Bahamas Power and Light Company Ltd. (BPL) wishes to clarify information in the public domain regarding disconnections: in response to inquiries about the number of disconnections performed between July 1, 2020 and October 15, 2020, BPL confirmed that the number of disconnections was 8,741,” it said in a statement.
“The number of disconnections, taken in isolation as it was, is perhaps misleading, given that the same account might be disconnected and reconnected multiple times.
“For this reason, BPL wishes to clarify that up to October 23, 2020, the number of customers who remain without power due to disconnection is 3,011. That represents 2,542 residential customers, and 469 other customers.”
Last week, The Tribune reported that 8,741 residential accounts on New Providence and the Family Islands had been disconnected.
According to that same article, BPL said it had no plans to ramp up disconnections, however, 9,262 customer accounts still face being shut off for non-payment — that is 7,068 residential and 2,194 commercial customers.
However, when asked about the matter on Sunday, Bannister said BPL was not engaged in a disconnection exercise.